ANNAMALAI SWAMI REMEMBERED

Building works, part 14

As the cowshed was nearing completion (Chinnaswami) came up to me and said, 'This building will be a success because of Bhagavan's plan. It is only because of his grace that we have been able to finance it. Now I believe you.' 

Bhagavan often came to the cowshed to give instructions and to see what progress had been made. He even used to visit the site during the night. 

Once, as we were supervising the work together, Bhagavan told me, 'If you build this cowshed for Lakshmi, we will get all the necessary punya [merit accumulated from performing virtuous acts] to build a bookstore, a dining room, and a shrine for the Mother. All this will happen in due course. This area will eventually become a town.' 

Lakshmi herself often came to see how we were progressing with her new home. If Bhagavan were there he would often pat her on the head and say, 'You must wait for a few more days. The work isn't finished yet.' 

In those days Lakshmi could wander wherever she wished. 

Sometimes someone would take her to graze near the Samudram Lake, but mostly she stayed in the ashram. 

During the last stages of construction, Bhagavan came and told me that it would be a good idea to install a stone mortar and pestle so that a mash of cottonseed could be prepared for the cows. He even told me where to install it. When I mentioned to Chinnaswami that I planned to install this grinding stone, he rather petulantly insisted that I change its location and put it in a different corner of the cowshed. As soon as he left I ignored his orders and put it in the place where Bhagavan had indicated. Bhagavan saved me from another pointless quarrel by following Chinnaswami to the cowshed on his next visit.

Before Chinnaswami had a chance to complain, Bhagavan appeared and said, 'Ask Chinnaswami, which plan is better, his plan or your plan?' 

Bhagavan had not said that the idea was his but Chinnaswami correctly interpreted this pointed remark to mean that Bhagavan himself had given me this job. Chinnaswami took the hint and agreed that my idea should be adopted. 

- LWB, p 54

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madhavi Ammal, Saranagathi

Paul Brunton's experience